Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Can't sleep...

Well, it is a little after midnight, and I'm wide awake!  My husband is out of town, and the kids and I are spending the next couple of days at my parents house.  P and LH are sleeping soundly, as is the rest of the household, I presume.  
Today, after I picked P up from school, I realized that he had a rash from head to toe!  Well, let me clarify, I didn't notice it right away, as he had on long pants and a long sleeved shirt. However, as we pulled into our driveway, he calmly said "Mom, I didn't want you to worry, so I waited until we got home..."  Never a calming statement!  He then proceeded to tell me that he had noticed the rash soon after he had arrived at school that morning...great. 
 Let me just say, when you have a child with several life threatening food allergies, this type of thing can send one into a mild panic (especially when one already suffers from anxiety, and especially, when ones husband is out of town!).  I took one glance at the rash, and put my little minivan right into reverse, calling the doctor to let him know that we were on our way!  I would like to add, that at this point I was approximately 35-40 min away from the Dr.'s office, while if we had gone straight there from school, it would have been a 10-15 min drive, but, I digress.  I remained calm, realizing that since he had had the rash ALL DAY, that he obviously was not having an anaphalactic  reaction or anything like that.  
We made it to Dr. Savy's office, where my 3 year old (not the patient) immediately asked the Dr "Is my bubby going to be ok?"  When Dr. Savy gently put her 3 year old worries to rest, she then said "Ok, well can I have a sucker?"  Oh to live in that sweet world!
After glancing at the rash, checking the lungs etc, the Dr. concluded that it must be some sort of virus, although there was no fever, no swollen throat etc.  He gave me a couple of prescriptions, along with a hug (such a sweet Dr), and sent me on my way.  I have been relatively satisfied with this diagnosis, until now!  Let's just say that currently, I am strongly resisting the urge to google, and self diagnos!  I am a master of the google self diagnosis!  A talent probably passed along from my mom...or my dad!  A gift that keeps on giving :)
I have decided that I will tell my little "anxiety part", as I so fondly refer to it, that I am not going to work myself up tonight, and that although, I am keenly aware of it's presence, it will have to be set aside for now.  That's years of good therapy right there people!  
However, I don't know that I will be able to convince this mama's heart to leave her little boys side, and go to bed anytime soon :)  Praying that all is well with my sweet, precious, hilarious, tender-hearted, adorable little boy!  I love you P!  
- Mama 

No comments:

Post a Comment