Sunday, November 28, 2010

Weekend in Mackinaw with my Besties

I spent one of the last weekends in October on Mackinaw Island, with my mom and two of my dearest friends, at an event called Winsome Women. This event is a huge gathering of christian women held twice a year at the Grand Hotel! There is no way to describe the Grand, other than to say that it is amazing! If you have never heard of the Grand, it is the hotel where the movie "Somewhere in Time" was filmed.
Like I said, the entire hotel is filled with christian women during this weekend of spiritual renewal. Each year they have guest speakers as well as entertainment. This year, the speakers included Ann Beiler (the owner and founder of Auntie Anns pretzels), John Piper (author of 90 minutes in Heaven), and Lauren Winner, my personal favorite (author of Mudhouse Sabbath). This years entertainment was Fernando Ortega, who is a very gifted and humble singer/songwriter. We spent part of the time in corporate worship, and other times in smaller break-out sessions. In addition to that, everyone is able to enjoy the amenities of the hotel...which are nothing short of FABULOUSO!!!
Taking our "taxi"/horse and buggy up to the hotel.

The room where my mom and I stayed. No two rooms are decorated alike! To the left of the bed, was a huge window, that overlooked not only the porch of the Grand, but also Lake Michigan...an incredible view!


Me and Lynne

Dinner in the Grand Ball Room
(L to R: Mom, Renne, Lynne, Kim)
Yummy appetizers...so many choices!
Lynne, me and Renee.
Not only are these two of my dearest friends, but I also get to work with these lovely ladies.
We are all christian counselors.
Lunch time is so fun, because a live band plays music, all the waiters run out, and everyone is served at once. It is such an awesome experience.
Another beautiful display...
A cute litte restaurant on Lake Michigan

Lynne and Renee getting ready to bike around the Island.

The following are pictures they took while on their adventure:





Me and Mom


The Grand Hotel Taxi

Love the sound of clopping horses!
We happened to be leaving the Island the same time as the speakers/entertainers. We asked Fernando and his family if they would be willing to take a pic with us, and they kindly obliged. It's a bummer that my eyes are closed :(, but oh well!
Waiting for the ferry to take us back to the city.


On our way home!
I wish I could explain what a wonderful time we had.
What a blessing it was to spend time worshiping and having fun with some of the people I love the most...I am beyond grateful!















No comments:

Post a Comment